Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Research Paper Assignment
For this research paper, you must choose a topic from one of the 6 approaches. This paper must be 4-6 pages with an appropriately focused thesis statement, at least two sources besides your text (one should be The Poetry Foundation), and organized using MLA format.
Outside sources will consist primarily of book sources and journal articles.
- Literature essays from books and reference titles that contain analysis of a work will be useful sources.
- Scholarly articles from literature journals will also be valuable sources for your research.
- When you find a really good article on your topic - mine the bibliography. This is a quick way to add additional relevant, related, authoritative sources to your paper.
Our new SNAP! Search allows you to search many of our databases at the same time in one powerful search. This search will find books, ebooks, academic articles, news, and video content.
Search in these databases to find critical and analytical articles about your author's work.
Literature Resource Center
Biographical information, overviews, full-text literary criticism and reviews on more than 130,000 writers in all disciplines, from all time periods and from around the world.
Hundreds of scholarly titles in arts & sciences (JSTOR collections A&S II, III, and VII; Language & Literature) and over 60,000 ebooks.
Bloom's Literary Criticism
Thousands of critical articles published by noted scholars in the Bloom's Literary Criticism series; includes "Bloom's How to Write About,:" with specific advice on how to write good essays on popularly assigned authors.
Library Catalog Search
Find books, ebooks, DVDs and streaming videos available through the NSCC Libraries and our partner libraries in HELM.
Did you find a book source you would like to use for your research, but it is not available in the HELM network of libraries?
You may request the book be sent to you via our InterLibrary Loan Service.
How to submit a request:
1. Check to make sure the book is not available within the HELM libraries. Search all HELM libraries.
If you locate the book, click on the button and follow the online instructions to request the material. Note: Material may take up to a week to arrive.
2. If the book is only available outside the HELM library system, fill out the InterLibrary Loan Book Request form.