A - Z | Find Courses | Find People | Search Site | NSCC Home
North Shore Community College Library
You are here: Home  >  Faculty Resources  >  How do I...

Faculty/Staff Resources

How Do I...

Get a library card?

Your NSCC ID is also your library card. Stop by the Student Life Office in Danvers (DB 132) or Lynn (LW 171) to get an ID. Bring your NSCC ID to the library circulation desk; we will activate it and give you a Personal Identification Number (PIN) for your online library account.

Find books, ebooks, and media?

  • Search the NOBLE catalog for library materials on the North Shore.
  • Search Ebrary for thousands of online books.
  • Search the Virtual Catalog for books across Massachusetts.
  • Search Worldcat for library materials across the world.
  • Search Films on Demand for streaming videos.
  • Search Overdrive for popular ebooks and audiobooks.

Find articles?

Use the Library's Subject Listing of Databases.

Find out if the library has full text access to a journal?

Use the Library's Journal and Article Locator tool.

Find streaming videos?

Use Films on Demand to find streaming videos.

Find reference sources?

Use Credo Reference, a large online collection of reference sources.

Find audiobooks?

Use the Noble Overdrive Database to find audiobooks.

Access library resources from off-campus?

In order to access some library resources off campus you must have a library activated NSCC ID. The fourteen digit number on the bottom of your ID is your library card number. The online catalog password is your birth date (format: MMDDYYYY). Enter in these numbers when accessing databases off-campus.

Place course material on reserve?

Textbooks and supplemental course books and media may be placed on reserve in the Library. Electronic versions of journal articles not available in the Library's databases, and parts of books may be placed on electronic reserve. The Library requires that faculty read the Library's Course Reserves Policy before submitting requests. Faculty must fill out the Library's Reserves Request Form or E-Reserves Request Form to submit with their requests.

Request media for classroom use?

First you need to search the NOBLE Catalog to make sure the media (DVDs or videos) is available and that it is owned by NSCC. Media requests are placed through Campus Pipeline. Go to the "My Northshore" tab. Find the Media Request section; under Create New click on Media Title Request. Fill out the form and send. You will get a return message when the material is found and placed on hold for you. All media equipment requests are made through the Instructional Media Department. You will find a form for equipment requests in the same section.

Request library instruction classes?

Instruction librarians are available to discuss instruction options for your course and any appropriate resources that may be useful for your course assignments. Both the Lynn and Danvers Campus libraries have instruction rooms or you can request a librarian visit your classroom for instruction. To request instruction classes, fill out the Instruction Request Form and contact a campus librarian to schedule a date and time for instruction. In order for us to adequately prepare for the class, please give at least one week advance notice.

Find my library liaison?

A library liaison provides special assistance to faculty in an academic program. If you have questions about library resources and services, would like to consult with a librarian about designing a research assignment for a class, need help with a research project or literature review, or want to suggest materials for purchase, please contact the liaison assigned to your area.

Librarians are also available for one-on-one research consultations with staff. Schedule an appointment with a librarian to review our resources and services, or to get help with a specific research inquiry.

Integrate links from library resources into Blackboard?

Many of the library databases provide URLs for linking directly to full-text content. Unfortunately, every database company does it differently. To create a direct link to an article, book or film from a database into your Blackboard course platform you will need to locate the publisher-produced persistent URL. This is also often called a persistent link or bookmark.

Once you have located the persistent link for a specific item, you will need to copy this URL along with the college's proxy server information so that the material can be accessed from off-campus. To do this type http://proxy6.noblenet.org/login?url= directly before the persistent link you located. Librarians are available to assist you.

How do I request a LibGuide be created for my course?

Librarians can create subject/program LibGuides or specific course assignment LibGuides. Contact the Liaison assigned to your area for more information.

Add the Library's information literacy tutorial to my class?

NSCC librarians have created an online information literacy tutorial that can act as a guide for students through the various stages of the research process. The tutorial is imported into faculty Angel course pages. Tutorial modules can be adapted to the specific needs of individual classes. Quizzes and discussions are also available to use as assessments. Contact your library liaison for more information.

Request interlibrary loan materials?

You can stop by the library and ask a staff member to help you or you can request items online through the NOBLE Catalog. When requesting online, you must have a current and activated NSCC ID and a password. If the NOBLE network does not own the research materials you need, we will try to obtain them via interlibrary loan. Please fill out an interlibrary loan form for articles or books. Contact an interlibrary loan staff member for more information.

Use my card at other libraries?

Your NSCC ID can be used at any NOBLE college library. NOBLE public libraries require a public library card. If you have more questions about access to other institution's libraries, contact a staff member at the Lynn or Danvers Campus Library.

Renew library materials?

You can renew items three ways: in the library, online by logging into your library account, or by phone (Danvers: (978) 739-5526 or Lynn: (781) 477-2133). To renew online you will need your library card number and password and the items cannot be overdue. To renew by phone have your library card available as we will need the number from it.

Return materials?

You can return materials borrowed from the NSCC libraries to any NOBLE library.

Collaborate with a librarian on my distance learning courses?

Questions about library support for your distance learning courses should be directed to your library liaison.

Get assistance with preventing and detecting plagiarism?

NSCC librarians have created an annotated plagiarism resource guide for faculty that is located in Pipeline. Under the My Northshore tab, look in the Faculty Resources channel and select Library Resources. See the document "Plagiarism Tools for Faculty". You may also request library instruction classes on plagiarism and citing sources for your students.

Get access to citation generating software?

The Library has a license for the citation generator tool EasyBib.

Easybib: for new registrations
When registering use coupon code NorthMA405. Use this link if you have never had an EasyBib account at NSCC.

Easybib: for existing account holders at NSCC
If prompted, use or verify coupon code NorthMA405. Use this link if you have an existing EasyBib account at NSCC.

Get access to the Chronicle of Higher Education?

NSCC Library subscribes to the full version of the Chronicle of Higher Education online. Access to this version is available through the Library channel in Campus Pipeline.

Set up journal alerts?

Some of the Library's databases offer journal or search alerts as a current awareness service via RSS feeds. To set up a search alert in any of the EBSCOhost databases NSCC Library subscribes to, you must first create a free My EBSCOhost account and sign in. Once signed in, any set of search results will have an Alert/Save/Share option, click on this link and set your parameters. To set up a journal alert click on the publications link, locate the journal, click on the RSS feed icon and set your preferences. These alerts can be aggregated into your Angel course, your gmail, or other feed/news aggregators. Contact your library liaison for more information.

Recommend a purchase?

Contact your library liaison to make a suggestion for a library acquisition.

Get a password?

Your password is your birth date (format: MMDDYYYY). In order to access the library's resources off-campus or to login into your library account, you must first bring your ID to the Library circulation desk to be activated.

Request clickers for classroom use?

Library clickers are for use by library staff only. Academic Technology has sets of clickers available for checkout by faculty and staff. To reserve these, please use the Classroom Technology Equipment Request (media request) on Pipeline.

Contact a librarian?

To contact a librarian please visit the Ask a Librarian page.